Hey friends! Welcome to Batter & Bounty - a little side project I have been working on! Having always been a lover of good food, now that I have a kitchen of my own and a husband who also appreciates a good homemade meal, I have decided to try combining my love of photography with my love for cooking!
Ray and I try to have a once a month at home date night. We open a bottle of wine and cook dinner together.
I was searching Pinterest for something to make with our pantry ingredients and stumbled upon a recipe for a One-Pot Sausage Penne Pasta. It looked simple and required little clean up so we decided to give it a shot. We had most of the ingredients already, although I did change a couple of things to add a little more flavor and modify it a little based on what we had.
It was a HUGE success! Ray told me to keep this recipe because he will be requesting it often!
One Pot Sausage Penne Pasta
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 12 oz whole wheat penne
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 24 oz jar of tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated parmesan to top
- Brown sausage in deep skillet pan. Break the sausage into small pieces as it is cooking.
- Once the sausage is starting to brown, add onion and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the green pepper and cook until the onions and pepper soften. Add basil and oregano, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken broth, water and tomato sauce to skillet. Bring it to a boil.
- Add pasta and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 more minutes.
- Once the pasta is al dente, serve and top with parmesan cheese.